Friday, February 17, 2012

What I Learned from the Video Game Archive



           I went to the UM Library system’s Computer and Video Game Archive at North Campus with a friend for the first minor quest. We played games from pre-2000 and post-2000 devices as I attempted to connect the perspectives I’d encountered in UC-256 to these video games, including theories about competition and fun.
            Stephen Garcia, one of our guest speakers, previously lectured about the psychology of competition. I found that many of the theories he discussed were directly applicable to video games. The N-Effect, “the discovery that increasing the number of competitors (N) can decrease competitive motivation” seemed especially evident while playing Mario Kart, a 15-year old game on the Nintendo 64 platform (Garcia 1). 
            Initially, when only my friend and I played the game, our times were nearly 12 seconds faster, a significant difference, compared to when we increased N to four by allowing two other individuals to join our game. Based on Garcia’s guest lecture, this result was unsurprising because according to the N-Effect, a smaller number of competitors leads to a higher competitive motivation because social comparison increases. Additionally, Garcia stated that closer relationships with the comparison target cause a stronger social comparison, therefore increasing competitive behavior and motivation (Garcia Lecture). I had a close relationship with my friend, but I had distant relationships with the other two individuals we had just met. 
             Later that day, I played Super Smash Brothers Melee on the Gamecube, a game released in 2001. I had played this game throughout my childhood, and although it had been a long time since last playing it, I already knew the basic strategies and techniques to easily defeat the highest level AI enemy.  I remembered reading about Tejada-Flores’ types of “games” in climbing that were used to make those practices meaningful to the gamer (Tejada-Flores 1-2). I decided that applying his perspective to my game would make Super Smash Brothers Melee much more challenging and thus, actually meaningful.
           I gave myself various handicaps, from fighting multiple enemies at a time to not allowing my character to use weapons, to choosing the weakest champions available to play. I did this because I had already mastered the basics of the game, and playing without any sort of handicap would have been far too easy and a meaningless activity. By defeating enemy AI characters in much more challenging matches because of my handicaps, I had a more meaningful experience.
            According to Koster’s Theory of Fun, successful games have certain elements incorporated into them: preparation, a sense of space, a solid core mechanic, a range of challenges, a range of abilities, and skill required in using abilities (Koster 11). After I thought about his perspective, I realized that there isn’t much of a difference in older games or modern games. Sure, newer games may have better graphics and more complex game-play, but successful games of any generation have the same basic factors that make them so great. Koster states, “Games do not permit innovation. They present a pattern… you don’t get to change the physics of a game” (Koster 8). Do you think that the same theories apply to new and old games, or is there some type of difference? I'm interested in hearing what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment