Wednesday, April 4, 2012

So I walked into my friend's room the other day and I saw she was playing Second Life. I was shocked to see someone playing the virtual world for real when I only looked at the game for the class. She loves the game and constantly plays. I could barely work it but she really got the hang of it.

When I asked her about it, she really went into detail about what it has been like. It is as if she is living in an alternate reality; living by different rules of society. What she likes about this idea of a virtual world is that she can do what she wants without a care in the world about what other people think. My friend loves to be able to take a break from her life and do other things. With Second Life, she can go to the beach even when it is cold outside. The game is set by rules where she shops but needs money. She gets to take a getaway by going on vacation. She has the ability to dress strange and not worry about what others are saying because she doesn't personally know them and doesn't have to play by the rules of society.

This idea reminds me of what we read last night for the quiz about free will. Like we discussed, free will is no longer truly free. Now, people's decisions are made to bend in the direction society demands. No one can make their own decisions truly anymore because they don't do everything they want.  People constantly hide their true desires because they fear they will become social outcasts. I think this is truly tragic. No one should be afraid to do what they want and be who they are just because society tells them so.


1 comment:

  1. The fact that individuals are not expressing themselves because of others is just sad. Although sad, I cant say I'm not a victim of this. We do things becuase we think they're right...but why? Who initially taught us this, and if it was their parents...is this just a cycle? As Sammy stated, people constantly hide their true desires becuase they fear they will become social outcast. But what is a world where everyone is the same? Everyone is different for a reason...everyone brings different things to the table. If we cut out the ability to be different and believe differently about things than we are just hurting ourselves in the end.

    ReplyDelete